When I started my blog almost 2 years ago, I struggled with coming up with a name for it. It took me a couple of weeks to finally decide my blog should be titled, “It’s All About Learning”. For me, it IS all about learning. Everything I do has something to do with learning something: when I take photos, I am learning new things all the time. As a parent, I learn new things about each of my children and about me as a parent each and every day, without fail. As a wife of almost 20 years, I learn things daily about my husband and our relationship (yes, even after that long). As a teacher, I learn new things about my students each day. I learn new ways of effectively working with individual students. What works one day, may not work another day. I continue to learn about the importance of flexibility as an educator. As a leader, I learn about our staff and myself each and every day. Some of these lessons are easy and quick to learn, while other lessons are slow and very difficult. Most importantly, I am continuously learning about the importance of understanding, listening, being patient, taking time, and focusing on what is important.
I have always focused on learning. I love to learn. If you aren’t learning, then you aren’t living! But, as I continue to learn about myself as a parent, a wife, a teacher, and a leader, I have come to realize that it isn’t just all about learning after all. In fact, it is all about SHARING!
What do we learn from sharing, you ask?
When others share, we learn . . .
- about the inspiring things others are doing in their classes and schools.
- new ways to do things we may not have thought of otherwise.
- the importance of connecting with others.
- about people and the importance building relationships with others.
- that others struggle the same way we do.
- about the generosity of others.
- how to support others, while still pushing their thinking.
- we are not alone.
When we share, we learn . . .
- that we have things to offer.
- there are others we can relate to out there.
- how to reflect and the importance and power of reflecting.
- how to organize our thoughts.
- to push ourselves.
- to provide ourselves the opportunity to connect with others.
- about the importance of collaborating.
- the power of collaboration.
- the importance and value of descriptive feedback.
- about ourselves as educators and people.
- about the importance of taking risks.
- that we can do it! We gain ideas, but we also gain confidence in trying new things!
- we are not alone.
- It’s much more powerful to learn together.
I can’t imagine not being inspired and pushed by so many amazing educators around me – both in person and online – local and global. While, at times, it can be somewhat overwhelming, okay, VERY overwhelming, to always be learning new things, it is also extremely rewarding and invigorating.
I gain my enthusiasm, my energy, and my passion from learning from others – in my school, my district, from my PLN, and from people around the world.
I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Now, how do we get others to realize the importance of sharing what they are doing in their classrooms? We have so many incredible educators in our district, province, and around the world! Just imagine what it would be like if everyone celebrated and shared all the wonderful things they were doing in their classrooms and schools!
I want to learn from you! And so do others!